Can I Be Fired For Reporting Fraud at My Job? Employment Lawyers Who Fight For You
You are hard-working employee who takes pride in the work you do; however, one day your boss comes up to you and asks you to do something unheard of. He or she wants you to commit fraud so the business can make an extra dollar. You are gassed and perplexed; eventually you start to feel overwhelmed, anxious, and depressed over the fact that you are committing illegal acts. You tell your employer you don’t want to do what they are asking of you, but instead of leaving you be, the company starts to retaliate against you. Don’t get left asking yourself, “Can I Be Fired For Reporting Fraud at My Job?”
For example, the company demotes your pay, supervisors make derogatory comments, and you are required to work unbearable hours; they do all this in order to get you to quit. You feel you have no choice but to go to a governmental authority (or someone else in the company that has the power to do something) to tell them what is going on, which is what you do. Next thing you know, you are fired.
Does the situation above sound familiar?
If you are asking yourself, “can I be fired for reporting fraud at my job?” you may be protected as a whistleblower and may be able to recover damages. Our lawyers here at Miracle Mile Law Group are encountered with many instances where an employee is asked to do something illegal or sees some other violation of law and gets retaliated against for reporting it. Some common examples of when you might be protected include:
- A worker who oversees construction workers notices that her company is not following safety codes and reports it to the Occupational Safety and Health Commission. She is later fired.
- A worker is asked to fiddle with the tax numbers, also known as “cooking the books,” but rejects the request and reports it to the IRS. She is later fired.
- A worker is denied the opportunity to take rest and meal breaks and begins to complain. Eventually the employee reports the conduct to the authorities. He or she is later fired.
- A health-care worker notices that his or her employer is admitting unqualified patients to fill beds in order to receive reimbursements from Medicare and Medical. She is later fired.
- A business tells employees that if they do not use their paid vacation time by a specified date that he or she will lose the pay. The employee complains that this procedure is illegal, and she is eventually fired.
But you may also be asking yourself:
- is what I am being asked to do illegal?
- do I have to do what my boss tells me to do?
- can I report what is happening to authorities?
- should I report the illegal activities to authorities?
File a Lawsuit Against Your Employer for Whistleblower Discrimination or Wrongful Termination Because You Reported Fraud
If you believe that your employer has fired you because you reported fraud to government authorities or law enforcement, you may have the grounds to file a lawsuit against your employer.
Miracle Mile Law Group is here to help make sure that your employer does not get away with any unjust actions towards you. If you believe that your rights have been violated, don’t hesitate to give us a call and schedule an in-person consultation. We offer a free consultation and the zero-fee guarantee.
Talk to a Los Angeles Whistleblower Retaliation Lawyer today. We offer free consultations and you pay nothing unless we win.
The lawyers at Miracle Mile Law Group are specially trained in handling whistleblower retaliation and discrimination lawsuits. If you believe you have been or are currently being retaliated against based on your whistleblower activities, contact a Los Angeles whistleblower retaliation attorney today. Having a lawyer by your side when trying to prove that you have been sexually harassed is essential. The lawyers here at Miracle Mile Law Group are trained at identifying what to look for when going up against your employer. These cases are very time sensitive so give us a call at (888) 244-0706 or contact us online for a FREE case evaluation. Remember, we do not take a single dollar unless WE WIN!