Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Attorneys
This is personal for us. We know the difference between right and wrong and have based our entire careers on reminding others of that distinction.
Miracle Mile Law Group Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Attorneys
Workplace discrimination is unacceptable. Both federal & state laws protect workers in Los Angeles from workplace discrimination. If you have been dismissed from your job, been passed over for career growth opportunities, or denied benefits based on your age, gender, and race and similar characteristics protected under state & federal laws, it is advisable to speak with experienced Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys as soon as possible to protect your employee rights.
Federal and California laws mandate that workers have the right to equal treatment in the workplace. It is illegal to judge a worker or make decisions that could affect their employment status based on personal characteristics protected under the law.
If you think you have been discriminated against in your Los Angeles job, you have a right to seek legal remedies under the applicable laws. Contact trusted Los Angeles workplace discrimination lawyers at Miracle Mile Law to schedule your consultation.
Common Types of Unlawful Workplace Discrimination in Los Angeles
- Age Discrimination at Work: Discriminating against a current employee or a job applicant over the age of 40 is illegal. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) protects such workers against age discrimination in the workplace. If you have experienced age discrimination at your Los Angeles job, make sure to explore your legal options with the help of our workplace discrimination attorneys in LA.
- Workplace Sex & Gender Discrimination in Los Angeles: Title VII and California’s Fair Employment & Housing Act (FEHA) prohibit workplace discrimination or unfair treatment of workers on the basis of their sex. California’s FEHA also protects workers from workplace discrimination on the basis of their sexual orientation.
- Pregnancy Discrimination at Work: It is illegal to discriminate against a female worker in the workplace due to pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.
- Religious Discrimination at Work: Both federal and state laws mandate that employers cannot discriminate against workers on the basis of their religion or religious practices. Thus, adverse action that alters a worker’s employment status in response to them wearing a religious dress or taking time off for religious services can be a valid ground for a workplace discrimination claim in Los Angeles.
- Race & National Origin Discrimination in LA: Workplace discrimination based on a worker’s race, ancestry, national origin, or color has been outlawed by both The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and California laws. Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 also protects employees against workplace discrimination on the basis of their immigration status or citizenship.
Prejudicial treatment on the basis of a worker’s personal characteristics protected under federal and state laws is illegal. If you have reasons to believe that you have been discriminated against in Los Angeles, you can file a complaint with the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You can also consult trusted and experienced Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys at Miracle Mile Law to find out if you can file a workplace discrimination lawsuit against your employer.
Compensation for Workplace Discrimination in Los Angeles
Victims of workplace discrimination in Los Angles can seek compensation for losses and damages. Compensation against a workplace discrimination claim, if proved, can include:
- Workers who were fired unlawfully or forced to quit their jobs due to a severely hostile work environment due to discriminatory behavior can claim compensation for lost pay. In such workplace discrimination cases in Los Angeles, the victims can get compensated for lost wages as well as benefits, including medical & dental insurance, bonuses, etc.
- In some cases, the victims of workplace discrimination may get compensated for expenses incurred on finding a new job, healthcare, etc. The court can also compensate the victim for mental trauma.
- The court may award punitive damages in cases where discrimination in a Los Angeles workplace has been particularly severe to set an example and to deter other employers from engaging in similar actions or behaviors.
- The plaintiff in a workplace discrimination lawsuit in Los Angeles may be compensated for their legal expenses, including the attorney fees and other costs associated with the case.
How Can Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Lawyers Help You?
Our highly experienced Los Angeles workplace discrimination lawyers can protect your rights if you have been discriminated against or treated unfairly in the workplace.
When you suspect that you have a case, it is a good idea to schedule a consultation with an experienced employment law attorney to find out if you can potentially file a workplace discrimination lawsuit.
Our workplace discrimination attorneys will focus on the facts and details of your case sans any emotions. Yes, we deeply care about employee rights and work every day to uphold them; we are good at what we do because strictly focus on the merits of the case.
Being discriminated against is a traumatic experience, we know. But when it comes to your workplace discrimination claim, what the court or the EEOC will examine and thoroughly scrutinize is the evidence available.
Based on the available information, facts, and evidence, our LA workplace discrimination attorneys at Miracle Mile Law can make a critical assessment of your case and offer expert legal advice on the subject.
Merely stating that your manager did not like you and hence, fired you from the job or transferred to a less favorable location may not suffice.
In order to build a case, our attorneys advise the victims of workplace discrimination to gather emails, messages, internal memos, videos, or any other evidence that can firmly establish the occurrence of the discriminatory acts.
To prove workplace discrimination, our Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys help you with the following:
- We help gather evidence that proves you have been discriminated against on the basis of personal characteristics protected under federal and state law.
- e help you establish that you have all the necessary qualifications to discharge your work duties and that you have done well in the past.
- We collect relevant eyewitness testimonies to establish that you have been discriminated against at work when you were employed or that you have been subject to discriminatory behavior in the past in the same workplace.
- We evaluate the case and find out how workplace discrimination has impacted your mental health, social status, career, and overall quality of life.
- We will find out if the discriminatory acts against you were inconsistent with your former or current employer’s policy of treating all workers fairly.
Depending upon the situation, a workplace discrimination case can be approached in many ways. At Miracle Mile Law, our Los Angeles workplace discrimination case put in the best efforts to defend your employee rights. If you have been discriminated against and believe that your employer has violated at least one employment law, contact us anytime to schedule a consultation. We are available 24/7.
What to Do When You Are Discriminated Against At Your Los Angeles Job?
When you first notice that someone at your Los Angeles job is discriminating against you on the basis of protected characteristics such as gender, age, sex, race, color, etc., be sure to start compiling all evidence.
Maintain a diary of all important events concerning discriminatory behavior. Note down the description, date, time, location, and witnesses for all such events.
First, you can report the discriminatory behavior/action to your HR department. Keep a copy of the written communication, if any. If the HR department fails to address your concerns, you can report workplace discrimination to the EEOC. The EEOC will further investigate the matter. You can also contact an experienced Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorney at Miracle Mile Law for legal counsel and filing a claim. At times, employers retaliate against workers who report workplace discrimination. You don’t have to accept such retaliation. It is illegal to retaliate against workers in this manner. To protect your employee rights at every step of the way, contact trusted workplace discrimination lawyers in Los Angeles today.
Can At-Will Employers File A Workplace Discrimination Lawsuit in LA?
Many workers do not understand federal and state laws concerning workplace discrimination. Yes, California is an at-will state. But, employers in Los Angeles, California cannot terminate workers for illegal reasons. For instance, it is illegal to fire an at-will employee because the employer wanted to hire someone younger who can work for a lesser pay or when the employer dismisses pregnant workers to hire someone else in their place.
Contact Our Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Attorneys
Each workplace discrimination case is unique and needs to be thoroughly evaluated by our experienced attorneys. As a worker in Los Angeles, you have until one year to report the case to the Department of Fair Employment and Housing from the time when the discriminatory act was committed.
We are here to help you better understand your legal rights as a worker in Los Angeles. You don’t have to accept workplace discrimination. You can act now. Contact Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys at Miracle Mile Law now.