Sacramento Disability Discrimination Attorney
This is personal for us. We know the difference between right and wrong and have based our entire careers on reminding others of that distinction.
Top Sacramento Disability Discrimination Attorney
Individuals with disabilities often face substantial barriers in the areas of transportation, communications, and especially employment. In the late 20thand early 21st, the United States legislature recognized the need for protections for those with disabilities. Accordingly, in 1990, Congress passed the Americans with Disabilities Act which prohibited discrimination on the basis of disability.
California furthered these protections by passing the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). FEHA offers broader protections for employees than do most Federal laws. Nonetheless, our Sacramento disability discrimination attorney is versed in both California and federal to obtain the maximum compensation for aggrieved employees.
What Is Disability Discrimination?
If you have a medical condition which limits a major life activity, such as work, there are procedures in place which should allow you to perform your job free from discrimination. Once your disability is known to your employer certain events must take place:
- You and your employer must engage in a good-faith interactive process to determine what accommodations are reasonable and what accommodations would allow you to perform the essential functions of your job.
- Sometimes, your physician may place you on work restrictions. You and your employer must evaluate these restrictions and determine if they are reasonable. However, if the restrictions place a substantial burden on the employer, then they may not have to honor those restrictions.
If your boss outright fails to honor your restrictions or he or she fails to engage in the interactive process, you may be victim of disability discrimination. That is why it is important to hire a Sacramento Disability Discrimination Attorney to prove your damages in order to obtain the maximum compensation available under the law.
Some Questions Regarding Disability Discrimination You May Be Asking Yourself
- Can my boss retaliate against me for requesting an accommodation that he finds annoying?
- What should I do if my boss is forcing me to perform job duties that are in violation of my work restrictions?
- Am I entitled to work accommodations at all?
- Can I sue if My boss fired me right after I filed a worker’s compensation claim?
How a Sacramento Disability Discrimination Attorney Can Help
If you were terminated because you have a disability, but you could have performed your job with reasonable accommodations, contact Miracle Mile Law Group at (888) 244-0706 to hold your employer accountable for their illegal behavior.
Our employment lawyer will determine whether your disability is “covered,” and will then evaluate whether your requested accommodations are reasonable under the eyes of the law. If your employer unreasonably and illegally refused to honor your reasonable accommodations, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages including, but not limited to punitive damages, front pay, back pay, and emotional distress.
HAVING A SACRAMENTO DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ATTORNEY BY YOUR SIDE GREATLY INCREASES THE CHANCE FOR RECOVERY
The lawyers at Miracle Mile Law Group are specially trained in handling disability discrimination lawsuits. If you believe you have been discriminated against because of your disability, or if your boss is unreasonably denying you the reasonable accommodations you are legally entitled to, give us a call at (888) 244-0706 or contact us online for a FREE case evaluation.