Oakland Employment Attorney
Seeking a trusted and dedicated firm for an employment law case in or around the Oakland community? Welcome to Miracle Mile Law Group, a dedicated firm of plaintiff employment lawyers here to represent you or a loved one facing issues with your current or former employer. Our Oakland employment attorneys have strong advocacy for employees when employers violate their rights.
This is personal for us. We know the difference between right and wrong and have based our entire careers on reminding others of that distinction.
Experienced Oakland employment lawyers for employees in all work sectors
Employees have numerous rights based on federal laws, California laws, and any written contracts they have. These rights generally include the right to be judged for employment, job advancement, and job retention – based on your abilities – and not because of how you look, where you’re from, whether you have a disability, your age (if 40 or older), your gender, and other characteristics.
You have the right to be paid a minimum wage, overtime pay, and contractual pay. You have the right to assert your legal rights. If you have a newborn or a parent who is ill, you likely have the right to unpaid leave – if you have enough work credits. Workers have the right not to suffer sexual harassment in the workplace.
At Miracle Mile Law Group, our Oakland employment lawyers have a strong record of success fighting for employees whose rights have been violated. Our results include some settlements and verdicts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars – and even some for a million dollars. We have the skills, reputation, and experience to fight your employer’s high-priced lawyers. We assert your legal rights and claim full compensation for all your damages.
Commonly asked questions
- What employee rights cases do your Oakland employment attorneys handle?
- What are the requirements for filing a discrimination claim in Oakland?
- What are the requirements for filing a wrongful termination claim in Oakland?
- What are the requirements for filing a sexual harassment claim in Oakland?
- Can I claim wage, hour, and sick leave pay?
- Do your Oakland employment lawyers handle family and medical leave claims?
- How much is my employment claim worth?
What employee rights cases do your Oakland employment attorneys handle?
At Miracle Mile Law Group, our Oakland employment lawyers understand how much you need your job or like your job. When employers fail to honor your rights, the financial consequences can be quite severe. The personal consequences can be just as devastating. Our employee rights attorneys represent employees in all types of employer rights claims including:
- Job discrimination
- Sexual harassment in the workplace
- Wrongful termination
- Family and medical leave violations
- Failure to pay minimum wage, overtime pay, and sick leave
- Retaliation for filing whistleblower claims and asserting other legal rights
- Severance pay claims
- Pregnancy discrimination
- Whistleblower / Retaliation
- Many other types of employee rights claims
What are the requirements for filing a discrimination claim in Oakland?
Employers who are subject to federal or state discrimination laws can be held accountable if they fail to hire you or you suffer adverse employment consequences including firing based on your:
- Race or ethnicity
- Country of origin
- A disability
- Sex, gender, and sexual orientation
- Age (if 40 or older)
- Military status
- Marriage status
- Pregnancy status
- Religious beliefs
The federal and state laws that govern employment discrimination in Oakland include:
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
Our Oakland employment lawyers are ready to assert your rights today. Consultations with our firm are free and always confidential.
What are the requirements for filing a wrongful termination claim in Oakland?
Employees are generally protected from being fired for the following reasons – even if they don’t have a written contract:
- Workplace discrimination. Depending on the number of employees in your employer’s company, you may be able to hold your employer accountable if they fired you because of your country of origin, race, gender, disability, age (40 or older), and other factors.
- Retaliation for asserting your employee rights. Our Oakland employment lawyers file claims if your employer fires you because you asserted your right to file an employment complaint, take authorized family leaves, vote, or assert other legal rights.
- Failure of the employer to provide reasonable accommodations. If your Oakland employer fails to provide reasonable accommodations for a disabled worker and then fires you because you can’t do your job – you likely have a wrongful termination claim.
Our Oakland Employment Attorney file wrongful termination claims if an employer terminates you in violation of your written employment contract or a collective bargaining agreement. We also file claims if your employer restrains your right to work after you leave or are fired.
California employers must also comply with the WARN Act which “helps ensure advance notice in cases of qualified plant closings and mass layoffs.”
What are the requirements for filing a sexual harassment claim in Oakland?
Our Oakland employment lawyers file sexual harassment claims if an employer or supervisor conditioned your job, a promotion, or other employment rights – if you did or didn’t comply with nonconsensual sexual requests – or if you are made to feel intimidated at work due to improper sexual remarks, statements, or actions.
How do your lawyers fight for employees who have been wrongfully fired?
Our Oakland employment attorneys answer all your questions starting with when and where you must file your claim. We’ll help you obtain the evidence you need to support your claim. We speak with management, coworkers, and anyone with information about your claim. We work to ensure the agency or court sees how good and valuable an employee you are.
Can I claim wage, hour, and sick leave pay?
Effective January 1, 2022, Oakland employers with 26 or more employees are entitled to a minimum wage of $15.00 per hour. If your employer has 25 or fewer employees, the minimum wage is $14 per hour.
Our Oakland employment lawyers also understand when employers are subject to the California overtime laws and how much employees must be paid. Generally, qualified workers who more than 40 hours in a week or 8 hours in a day may be entitled to time-and-a-half or double pay depending on how long they work. The Fair Labor Standards Act provides the federal overtime law that covered employees’ deserve.
Our Oakland employment lawyers file complaints for minimum wage, overtime pay, and sick leave pay – as set forth in federal laws, state laws, a written contract, or a collective bargaining agreement.
Do your Oakland employment lawyers handle family and medical leave claims?
You have the right to be treated with respect and decency where your work. Oakland employers have a duty to protect employees from sexual harassment, investigate complaints, and respond to sexual harassment. Employees should be protected from harassment by an employer, manager, client, coworker, customer, or anyone that the employee interacts with as part of their job. Sexual harassment includes requests for sexual favors in exchange for advancement – and sexual remarks and conduct that makes employees uncomfortable due to their gender, sexual identity, or sexual preferences.
At Miracle Mile Law Group, our Oakland employer lawyers file sexual harassment claims based on federal sexual harassment laws and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).
What family and medical leave laws protect employees?
Both California and the United States have recognized the need of employees to bond with family members and take care of newborns, adoptees, and other family members. We assert your right to unpaid family leave based on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), and the California Pregnancy Disability Leave.
Your eligibility depends on the number of employees in your company and your work credits.
California laws also protect Oakland employees who need time off for attendance at substance abuse treatment programs, court hearings, and other legal requirements.
How much is my employment claim worth?
The value of your claim varies depending on your type of claim. Generally, we seek payment for:
- All your financial damages
- Job reinstatement if you lost your job
- The value of any job benefits you lost such as a promotion or educational opportunities
- Statutory damages
- Any contractual damages
In some cases, you may also be entitled to legal fees and punitive damages.
How much is my employment claim worth?
At Miracle Mile Law Group, our Oakland employment lawyers have the experience and resources to handle the full range of employee rights claims including discrimination, wrongful firing, wage benefits, sexual harassment, whistleblower retaliation, and family and medical leave. We’ll fight to obtain all the financial compensation and additional rights federal and California law permits. To assert your employee rights, please call us at (888) 244-0706 or contact us for a FREE consultation.