Dog Bite Attorney
This is personal for us. We know the difference between right and wrong and have based our entire careers on reminding others of that distinction.
DOG BITE ATTORNEY LOS ANGELES
Dogs have long been considered man’s best friend and for the most part this is true. In fact, over 36% of households in the United States own a dog. But when dogs are put under extreme pressure by their owners or are not cared for properly—this can lead to unexpected violence by these loving animals.
California’s Law for Dog Bite Cases
California has a strict liability for dog bites meaning a victim can hold another party liable for wrongdoing without a finding a fault. California Civil Code section 3342 subsection (a) clearly sets out the law for Dog Bite cases.
3342.(a) The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness. A person is lawfully upon the private property of such owner within the meaning of this section when he is on such property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him by the laws of this state or by the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when he is on such property upon the invitation, express or implied, of the owner.
What Are The Common Reasons That Dogs Bite?
- Illness: when a once friendly and loving dog suddenly become aggressive, the underlying cause may be due to some unforeseen illness. For example, certain brain tumors can cause severe irritation in a dog’s brain causing the dog to lash out.
- Fear: dogs are very instinctual animals; when they feel that they are threatened, or that their owner is threatened, dogs will attack.
- Frustration: often times dog owners will neglect to properly care for their dogs. For example, they will fail to take the loving animals on regular walks or they will lock them up in a cage for hours. This leads to aggression in the dog and will ultimately lead to a Dog Bite.
- Breed of the Animal: a common misconception is that the type of breed of dog plays a role in the aggressiveness of the dog. However, this is not completely true as small-medium sized dogs tend to bite the most. Nonetheless, whenever a larger breed of animal does bite, the injury that is inflicted is greater and more harmful.
5 Things To Know About A Dog Bite Case
- When a dog bites you, the owner can be held liable for your damages under certain circumstances.
- If you were bitten by a dog, you may be able to file a claim with the dog owner’s home insurance policy.
- The owner of the dog that bit you has defenses to the dog bite. For example, if you were trespassing on the owner’s land, you may be barred from recovery.
- The statute of limitations for a dog bite case is two years. That means you have two years from the date of the dog bite to file a lawsuit. Recovery for a dog bite case will be barred if you fail to file a lawsuit within that 2-year period.
- Children are the most susceptible to dog bite injuries. In fact, children under 5 years old bitten by dogs suffer the most devastating injuries.
How To Prevent A Dog Bite
When it comes to a dog bite there a couple of things you can do to lower the risk of getting bitten. A list of of ways to prevent a dog bite include:
- Do not approaching an unfamiliar dog
- Stay still and do not run away from the dog
- Stay silent
- Do not let small children play with unfamiliar dogs unsupervised
- Do not bother the dog while it is eating food
- Do not try to interrupt a dog fight
- Do not wake up a dog whole he or she is sleeping
Why Hire A Dog Bite Attorney To Represent Your Dog Bite Case
Dog bites are not an easy case to handle as dog owners will usually fight liability and often the defenses available to them are ample. That is why it is so important to have an attorney by your side. A lawyer will be able to 1) show that the dog owner is liable for your injuries, 2) direct you to the proper medical treatment you need, and 3) maximize the amount you can recover. A dog bite attorney Los Angeles will help you recover er the maximum amount possible.
Why Choose Miracle Mile Law Group To Pursue Your Dog Bite Case
The lawyers at Miracle Mile Law Group have a particular understanding of dog bite cases due to their experience working with catastrophic injuries. We are available 24/7, 7 days a week to answer your call. Whether its just a question for the attorney or whether you need serious medical attention, we’ll be there. Remember our no fee guarantee means that you do not pay a single penny unless we win your case! Call us at (888) 244-0706 for a free consultation.